Common advice for home sellers is to turn all the lights on for showings and open houses. That is great advice. Home buyers find bright homes more appealing. But what if that’s not enough?
If your house is cursed with dark spaces, here are five ways to use mirrors to bring in more natural light without breaking holes in the walls or roof.
- Got a dark hallway? Use mirrors opposite one another to reflect what little light there is back into one another and increase the sense of brigh to schedule space.
- If you have a single window abutting a corner, add a mirror to the adjacent (windowless) corner, creating the effect that you have one large corner window.
- Use a floor-to-ceiling mirror in an area behind furniture, such as sofa table, or chest. Add a lamp in front of the mirror to reflect more light at night, too.
- Use a mirrored backsplash in the kitchen.
- Use a strategically placed mirror outside to reflect sunlight directly into a window at the angle you want. Alternatively, use a white surface, such as painting a fence white, to reflect light into the home.
There are other ways to brighten your home. One way is to open all the blinds, about 1/4 – 1/3 of the way up the window (all even), then open the slats all the way. This is especially important if you have windows that show an awesome view of the pool, a natural body of water, or a conservation area.
Is there something you don’t care to highlight to buyers, such as the side of your neighbor’s home? No problem. Open those blinds to 45 degrees or just a little more, but with the opening towards the sky, not the ground. That would still allow a lot of natural light into the home without accentuating the view.
For a home that’s vacant, how do we make it bright for buyers ahead of showing without wasting power or showing the world that it’s vacant? Here are a couple of techniques we use:
- Note in the showing instructions a reminder for buyer agents to please turn on all the lights, then turn them off when done. They want to sell the home, too, if it’s otherwise right for their buyers.
- Set the blinds to about 45 degrees open with the opening facing the sky. The outside world can’t see that the home is vacant, but still allows a lot of natural light into the home.
When you list your home for sale with us, this is just a small sample of the kind of professional advice we provide to make your home attractive to buyers. Please call us today at 407-765-2912 to schedule a no-obligation, no-cost consultation. We will answer all your questions so you can make the best decision for your family.